Monday, June 6, 2011

Birthday Party Fun



Ryan and Luke celebrated their 5th birthday on Saturday with their friends from school. They are in 2 separate classes, so that means 2 sets of friends to invite - that equals a lot of kids. We had won a birthday party at the Little Gym at their school's silent auction in April and I am so glad we were able to have it there. I love having parties at my house, but this year things would have been really difficult - due to me still working for another week and the construction going on in our basement. The kids had a blast and it was super easy for us - no set up, no entertaining, and no clean up.




The kids had lots of time to play on their own and together with all of the gymnastics stuff and they also had a few group activities led by their super enthusiastic party leaders.




The boys favorite part is the inflatable bouncing runway.

Getting ready to have cake.

Opening presents was crazy. I wanted them to open their gifts in front of their friends because the boys have been disappointed at other friends' parties when they don't see their friend open up their present. It worked out ok, but I would open them at home if I had to do it again - too many kids times 2 kids opening presents was a bit much - but the gym people did a great job of keeping track of who brought what and writing it down for us.

The birthday cakes: I saw an idea on a food blog recently for a cake that is illustrated by the child on the outside and the inside is a 6 layer rainbow colored cake. I had to use fondant for the first time to make them - but it turned out cute and the boys had a lot of fun decorating their own cakes.
(only pictures I got of the inside)


Luke's cake on the left is of a house with happy clouds and a flying cat. Ryan's cake on the right is of Ironman in blue and Spiderman in red (all drawn with edible food color markers).


They had a lot of fun and I think they turned out pretty cute.


Short video of them decorating.



They had a great party - but I still can't believe that they will be 5 tomorrow!

No comments: