Monday, June 10, 2013

90th Birthday Party and Backyard Campout and Last Day of School

 The school year has come to an end and summer has begun.  We have been busy with swimming and other activities, but before that began, we took a quick trip to Lubbock for my grandmother's 90th birthday.  She loved it - she is never one to shy from attention (very much unlike me), and she loved being the center of everything.  The picture below is of her sharing some of her childhood memories.  She asked my mom if there would be a time for her to talk to everyone and she wanted to have a special chair because she wasn't sure if people could see her if she talked from the table.  And while we sang Happy Birthday, she pointed her fingers at herself and mouthed "Happy Birthday to Me." 
  I am so glad that my parents gave her the party (which she has said several times that it was the best party she has ever been to), because a little more than a week later she fell and broke her hip.  She is doing ok, but she is in a lot of pain and has already developed a painful bed sore.  Ryan and Luke were very sad when I told them that G-Nanny had fallen and had to have surgery.  And when I told Ryan today about G-Nanny's wound on her heel, he said "that makes my heart hurt."

This is my grandmother, Mr. G, my mom and Nanny's nieces and nephew.  Many live in the Lubbock area and have always been a part of her life.
 Dad was the MC of the event and he enjoyed giving us all a history lesson of each decade of Nanny's life :)
 I made cookies for the party - Nanny loves roosters and anything country - so these fit right in.

 We took family pictures the next day with my brother and sister and their families, as well as, Nanny and Mr. G.  This one is from my phone - I'm glad that we had photographer come and take pictures.
 Sweet picture of Luke and his Grandad.  Luke got this hat recently and he loves to wear it.  Dad pulled out his dad's hat and they had fun trying each other's on.

Back at home - we let the boys have their first backyard camping experience all by themselves.  Greg set up the chiminea and the 3 boys roasted marshmallows.  After that, the boys crawled into their tent and played about 15 minutes (and came inside a few times) before falling asleep for the night.
 I really couldn't believe that they slept all night - I think they woke up around 6:30 - which is great considering the sun comes up at 5.  I didn't sleep well, though.  I was so worried about them out there all alone that I couldn't fall asleep until around 2am.  I kept thinking I was hearing the pitter patter of their little feet in the house.

We also ended the school year.  I can't believe my babies are done with 1st grade.  They had a pretty good year.  Ryan had a fantastic teacher and he made so much progress.  I can't give the same praise to Luke's teacher, but she was fine and he enjoyed the year.  I have to remind myself about the advice given in a book on resiliency that I read - your child needs the good enough in life (makes me feel better to be the good enough mom) - a good enough teacher is fine - if your child always has the best they won't be able to handle their adult life when they don't always get the best.  We are excited about their 2nd grade teachers - both boys got great ones and they are spending the week in a reading camp getting to know them better.  This is especially great for Ryan who is already anxious about 2nd grade.  He told me today that his reading camp was "awesome" and he loves his new teacher.
 I don't have a great last day picture - it was my last day of school and I couldn't be there to take a picture.  Greg took one of them eating a waffle at the bus stop before school (thanks to a great neighborhood mom).
 But Greg did take this sweet one on their first day of 1st grade - I was already at my school on that day and couldn't be there to take them to the bus stop.  I can't believe how they no longer look like little boys.

We also celebrated their 7th birthday last weekend, but I'll post that later on.

No comments: