Monday, February 11, 2008

The Move, Part II... And Other News




We are now all home as one family, minus the dogs, but with the cats and the boys (the dogs will join us tomorrow night). Greg and I went to Lubbock last Tuesday and picked the boys and cats up. R and L had a fabulous time with their Nana and Grandad and the cats had an ok time at Nanny's house. No permanent damage was done by either party. Mom and Dad just had toys to pick up and un-baby-proof their home again, and Greg and I are going to get Nanny's carpets cleaned, just in case.

The drive back to Denver was the worst part of the entire move. Somewhere between Trinidad and Pueblo, I got the stomach flu. I had the boys with me in my car, and Greg had the cats with him in his van. There is nothing like having to stop on the side of the interstate and stand in a snow bank to throw up (especially with 2 babies in the car watching you). We eventually made it to Colorado Springs (with 3 additional stops) and Greg's parents were wonderful enough to drive down and meet us there. Wayne drove Greg's van to our house, and I sat hunched over in the passenger seat, at last. I honestly don't know how I even made it that far driving. To top it off, Greg got the stomach flu the next morning. But he at least got to stay in bed all day (although I think he got a worse version than I did). We both lost the weekend, though, to feeling crappy. Fortunately, the boys have been OK and haven't gotten sick. They had this bug the first week we left them in Lubbock.

R and L learned all sorts of new tricks while they were in Lubbock. Mainly, their vocabulary has really taken off. They can mimic and repeat tons of words now and they like to point out what things are. There favorite word is "uh-oh," which they say constantly. I'm trying to teach them that uh-oh means an accident and not on purpose (like throwing food on the floor or a toy down the stairs). R has started saying "Ohhh" in amazement at things that fascinate him (like turning the fan on). L loves to point out shapes and say "circle" and "star."

They have adjusted pretty well to the new house. I got their room set up almost exactly like their old room and I think that it helped to not to make it feel too weird for them. They love the stairs. This is a tri-level house with 6 steps to each level. They have each taken a spill, but no harm was done. They love to crawl up the stairs and go down either on their bottom, or slide down on their tummies, feet first. L has been throwing serious temper tantrums lately, which has always been a sign of an ear infection in the past. But I took him to the doctor today and he doesn't have one. So maybe he's feeling uncertain about the changes. He gets so sad and mad all at the same time and he just wants to be held most of the time. Hopefully he'll feel settled in soon.
I leave you with some pictures below from the last couple of weeks. The first one is a video that I took of the boys when we were at Nanny's house last week. L especially likes to perform for the camera.





R and L helping Daddy to push the lawn mower to the front yard before we moved. We have started them early with chores.



R and L's last bath in their first home. They love to splash and make a huge mess.


Pictures of the cruise. We went to the Bahamas (which is behind us above) and Key West. We rented a wave runner in the Bahamas (no pictures of that) and went kayaking in Key West. The Keys have tons of wild chickens and roosters that run all over the place, which explains the picture that I'm in. No explanation in needed for Greg's picture. I took the picture of us all dressed up in our cabin (with the timer on the camera), so it isn't a great shot, but it is the only one I got of us looking nice.











Me, my sister, and my wonderful grandmother (my sister is wonderful, too).


Mom and I took the boys to Target last week and I let L out of the basket to walk. He pulled this wagon off of the shelf and immediately crawled into it. I pulled him around the store all the way to the cash register, where we left it. We don't need any more toys. But he had a great time riding around Target in style.


This is how R rode much of the way from Lubbock to Denver. He watched his video, sucked on his paci and held his and his brother's bears.


We stopped at a Burger King in Trinidad to let the boys run around for a while in the indoor play area. They had a good time trying to figure out the tube system.
And the picture at the top is from this afternoon. Nana and Grandad gave them super cute armchairs for Christmas, but they've been in Lubbock until now. The boys love to sit in them and read their books.
Have a great week!!!

1 comment:

Cindi Koceich said...

I LOVE all of the pictures!! I can't believe all of the fun things Luke is doing!!
I'm so sorry your were sick too...no fun!!
Give those boys lots of hugs and kisses from me!!