Wednesday, November 24, 2010

This Week's Activities



The boys and I enjoyed our short week of school. Today has been spent hanging around the house, cleaning, getting caught up on laundry and ice skating. I can't remember the last time I've been ice skating and this was the boys' first time. They had a lot of fun and did pretty good. Ryan clung to the wall the whole time, but he wasn't afraid to go on the ice and give it a try. Luke's balance was a little better, so by the end he was able to hold onto one of my hands and skate fairly freely.



A couple of things I learned - next time, bring gloves (I don't know why I didn't think about that) and be there early in order to get the walker thingy for the boys to skate and hold onto at the same time.


Last Sunday, Luke told me he wanted to spend the day doing crafts. The two of us went to Michaels and picked out a few Christmas crafty things for the boys to do that day. They had a great time and I'll have to remember to do that more often.

The boys' school had their annual Stone Soup day this week. I wasn't able to go due to some prior commitments at school, but Greg was able to go (by the way, I'm glad I was at school that day-I was in a classroom going over Explore (college prep test) results with 8th graders when the superintendent of the district came in and observed me talking to the kids about career options and college readiness). I'm not completely sure the point of Stone Soup day, but it has to do with a book that the kids read. The kids make the soup on Monday and then parents are invited on Tuesday to come to the school and learn about the story and eat the soup. The boys were so excited that Greg was able to be there.

We caught Luke tonight drawing in the hallway after bedtime. He had moved into the hallway so he could use the light in our bedroom to finish his book. It is his first book, titled "I Love Dogs" and he couldn't wait until the morning to work on it some more. His perfectionism and high frustration level came out, however, when he realized he had drawn over one of his previous pictures. He was so upset and had to be consoled for quite some time that it was ok and that we could work on fixing it in the morning.

We're looking forward to Nana and Grandad coming tomorrow for Thanksgiving weekend. Ryan could hardly go to sleep tonight in the midst of his excitement and Luke has worked for several days drawing them both pictures and creating room numbers for all of us so Nana and Grandad will know which room is theirs'.

No comments: