Sunday, April 3, 2011

Catching Up Part 3: The Rest of Spring Break


The boys and I were on our own after Nana and Grandad left on Wednesday. We spent Wednesday and Thursday hanging around the house and then we went to the Littleton Historical Society on Friday. Greg came home Friday afternoon and we took our annual pilgrimage to the car show on Saturday. I have gone the last 2 years in hopes that it would eventually result in a new car for me (especially when Greg would ask what I thought of certain vehicles) - I know better now and spend the time rounding up the boys and kicking them out of the cars when an adult would like to look at it.

The Littleton Historical Museum is just a few minutes from our house and has 2 working farms from 2 different time periods (1860s and 1890s). I can't believe that we had never been there before. They had 6 baby lambs on the 1860s farm and the boys enjoyed the blacksmith demonstration in the 1890s farm. The above statue is at the museum and I wanted to get a picture of both boys sitting next to the statue, but Ryan was a little freaked out by it and would only get as close to it from the tree.

The farm had a ton of old tractors for kids to play on. We'll have to go back this summer when the crops are growing. We also might take them sometime this month for the pumpkin planting. If you help plant a pumpkin in April and come sometime during the summer to weed and irrigate, you can can take your pumpkin home in October.

The 1860s farm also has Littleton's first one room school house. Luke wanted to pretend he was the teacher.


I found these 2 pictures below on my camera (plus about 2 dozen others). Apparently the boys got a hold of my camera one morning and had quite a photo session.



The quilt for the Silent Auction at the end of April. I volunteered to do this just last week and I only had a few days for the teachers to help me get the kids to draw a picture on a 6 inch block of muslin. I didn't get everyone, but I did get one from most of the kids in the 2 primary rooms. This never would have been done without my mom's help - she did most of the sewing and I did most of the cutting. It was a fairly quick project to do with 2 people.

Close up of the boys' artwork. Luke drew the tree (a variation of the school's logo) and the MSKC (the school's initials with an interesting looking S). He also drew the picture on the bottom right and Ryan's sweet picture of the himself driving some sort of vehicle is next to that.

No comments: