Monday, January 19, 2009

Fun in the Sun and Back on the Wagon


We are loving the lack of winter weather this week. The boys and I went out for a walk yesterday down our street - Ryan on his tricycle and Luke on his car. It was so nice to get outside, and we were even able to meet a neighbor. Today, I let them loose in the backyard and even let them swing for a while. We don't encourage the swings very often, because once they are on, they don't ever want to get off.

Yesterday we visited a church that we hadn't been to before. They have a really nice nursery and they even provided us with a pager to take with us. With about 10 minutes left in the service, the pager went off. Apparently, Luke had not stopped crying since we had left. The nursery workers said that even Ryan was telling him "it's OK, bro." We'll have to start referring to church as Sunday School since Luke loves school so much.

Tonight during bath Luke tried to hug Ryan and he said "I love you." How sweet is that? We tell them that all of the time and only occasionally will they say it if we ask them. I think it is so sweet that the first time Luke said it on his own, he said it to his brother. I'll ignore the fact that Ryan wouldn't let Luke hug him.

It has been a quiet week and so far healthy. Both boys seem to be past their eye infections. We finished Ryan's eye drops tonight. Luke was a very good patient and eye drop taker, Ryan has been very difficult - I have to sit on him while Greg pries his eyes open. He has cooperated enough because he has been promised a jelly bean after medi.

If you have a web cam, you have to get on Skype. My new laptop has a webcam and my brother got my parent's one that has recently been set up. We are now able to talk to and see them online with Skype. The boys love to call them on the computer and they think it is great fun to watch Grandad jump in out of the picture. When I'm on the computer now, Ryan always looks at the monitor and says, "talk to Nana?"

Ryan is back on the potty wagon. He started off great, but Christmas happened, and so went potty training. I'm taking advantage of these several days off to get him back on track. I'm not expecting him to be wearing big boy underwear by school on Thursday, but I'm hoping to be back where we were before Christmas-I think we'll get there. The key seems to be staying home and doing nothing but normal home things in order to get back in the habit. Honestly, diapers are so much easier for us (which we hadn't expected), but we can't do that forever. Luke is still doing his own thing. He talks about and wants to go to the potty so he can get a jelly bean, but he just doesn't seem to get it. We don't push it at all with him. He is such a worrier that the whole thing has made him very self-conscious and has messed his stomach up since we started with Ryan during Thanksgiving. I'm not sure what to do about him yet, so we aren't doing anything except telling him that he is ok.

Greg and I are watching the Daily Show right now and are really enjoying the "tribute" to the Bush administration. As Jon Stewart just said, "The last 8 years, well, have been good for this show." We all need to be able to laugh, even when there hasn't seemed to be much to laugh at lately. I'm looking forward to watching the inauguration tomorrow and watching "history" as my grandmother puts it. I know the boys won't get it, but hopefully they can withhold their fighting and whining long enough, if not, that is what TiVo is for.

No comments: