Saturday, February 6, 2010

What a Week


We survived the whole week without Greg, but there were times I wasn't sure we were going to make it. The boys and I had a good first 2 evenings - we played in the playroom together, read books, drew pictures, and cooked dinner. Day 3 didnt' go so well. Luke didn't nap at school, so he was real irritable, and I had had too much coffee at work, so I was irritable - it wasn't a good combination. By day 4, I knew I needed to get us out of the house, but that I also needed a break. So we went to Chick-fil-a right after school, where I proceeded to be mother of the year and let my boys play in the playground for an hour, while I read my book. We then ate dinner and they played for another hour. It was a good evening - they needed to run around and be crazy and I needed a little quiet, I don't know why I hadn't thought of this sooner. Greg made it home on Friday (barely, but thankfully, before the massive blizzard hit Maryland) and I went upstairs that evening with a glass of wine and closed the bedroom door and read. I don't know how single mothers with more than 1 child do it, I become more understanding and less judgmental every time I go through my short single mother periods (and I don't have the added stress of being the sole breadwinner).

Ryan's drawing skills have really been developing. He still holds the crayon/marker weird, but he has pretty good control. Below is the picture he drew of his family - I emailed that one to Greg in Maryland right away.

On Wednesday, I went with they boys on their school's field trip. It was a concert for kids and they had a good time listening and dancing.

Ryan took this picture of Luke dancing.

Luke took this picture of me and Ryan.

The boys love to help me cook. It is truly more of a hindrance than a help, but I don't want to discourage them. Ryan helped me crush pecans tonight with his toy Home Depot hammer.

I made chocolate Valentine cookies last week to take to people at work and the boys got to help by sandwiching the cookies together. I was hoping to make and decorate some tomorrow but I think that will have to wait, thanks to the Super Bowl (even though I don't give a flip about watching it). Hopefully there will be some time this week to get that done.


Lastly, a picture of Luke eating a cupcake/licking the icing. Greg promised the boys that if they were good, we could go get a treat when he got back. We're not above bribing them, especially with dessert (whatever works). They weren't perfect this week, but neither was I - so we went to a local specialty grocery store and they got pick out their own treat - Ryan picked out a cupcake with a football on it and for some reason, Luke picked out an Indianapolis Colts cupcake - as for me, I got Key Lime pie.

2 comments:

nana said...

You are an awesome mom to our little guys. You love them, teach them, and spend time with them. That will not go unrewarded. We love you and are very proud of you. mom and dad

Dalis said...

They are looking older by the minute! I love the picture of him hammering the pecans. Cute!