Friday, July 3, 2009

Sprinkler Fun


The boys had a good time today running in their sprinkler toys. This was the first time they were brave enough to actually get wet. They also got to help Greg give the dogs a bath and wash my car. I took them yesterday to a nearby park that has a petting zoo and train. It also had a creek full of kids splashing and playing - I promised the boys we'd do that when Jacob and Olivia come in a week (it was all they talked about on the way home). I've been keeping them busy in the morning and early afternoon (by taking them to the pool or park) in order to wear them out to get them to take a nap - it has worked great. They still have to nap, even when they think they don't, if not, the evening is miserable and so is the next morning. We've also been having our little summer school which usually kills about 45 minutes in the mornings.



The other big thing going on this week is potty training. I know I've been talking about this for months - because it has been going on for months. Ryan started during Thanksgiving and was doing great - but it wasn't enough time for me to really get him in the routine. We were out of town part of Christmas and again during Spring Break - so we haven't really had the time to stay at home and work on it. This summer has so far been busy, so this week was the first opportunity to be home without anything going on. Luke started practicing sometime in May. He wasn't making the connection from his bladder to brain about what to do. I sat him front of the TV one day with his little potty and a big glass of orange juice and before he knew it, he went - since then he's been the one more interested in figuring it out. Anyways, this week they've been wearing underwear, not because they are using the potty all of the time, but to help them see when they're wet. We've had some success, but we need a few more days at least. We have also spent a small fortune in underwear, but I draw the line in them having to share that - so they have their own large supply.

Luke is really getting good about giving compliments and using his manners. He told me to stop doing something (I think I was wiping his nose) and I told him that wasn't a very nice way to talk. Later that night, I did something else to him and he said, "please don't do that, Mama." He told me out of the blue the other day while he was jumping on the bed, "Mama, I love you" which made my heart melt. He also tells me most nights (completely unprompted, I promise), "this good dinner, Mama."

Ryan's conversation skills have really taken off the last few weeks. He loves to tell Luke what he can and can't do. He told Luke tonight while he was playing in their little kitchen, "get out of my kitchen, bro." He has probably heard me tell them that a few dozen times. He ate some sloppy joes earlier this week and said, "M says mmmmm" and rubbed his tummy at the same time.


Lastly, a few more pictures:

Riding the train at the park. I had to give Ryan several warnings before and during the train ride we were only going to ride it once in hopes of warding off a meltdown when it was over - for the most part it worked, but mostly because we went straight to the petting zoo.

Ryan wanted to fix my car tonight so Greg opened up the hood and gave him a flashlight. He had fun looking inside and pretending to do something to fix it. He is very fascinated with how things work and he loves to watch Greg fix stuff around the house.

4th of July cookies - any excuse to make cookies :)

We start our mini vacation tomorrow and the boys can't wait to stay in a hotel for the first time - that should be interesting.

No comments: