Friday, June 4, 2010

Birthday Party and Other News



It is time to catch this blog up to date. The boys had a wonderful birthday party with some of their friends at school. We had a space-themed party at our house before we left for California. As the kids came in, they decorated a rocket ship that Grandad made for the party. After that, we headed outside and had a moon rock hunt (think Easter egg hunt) and then the kids bobbed for strawberries. The kids also had a relay race with bouncer balls and attempted to break a rocket pinata. After cupcakes and presents, everyone finished off by decorating their own star cookie. I think the boys had a good time and the party came together nicely - everyone seemed to have a great time.

Decorating the rocket ship.

Moon rock hunt in the backyard.

Bobbing for strawberries - that was pretty funny.

Relay race.

Cupcakes - I am going to decorate a cake for their actual birthday and I knew with all of the other stuff going on that week that I didn't have time to decorate a cake for the party - besides I saw this idea online and thought it was cute and simple.

I had planned on decorating these cookies myself, but ran out of time - the day before the party I had the idea to let the kids decorate their own - I think that was a favorite activity for many.

Grandad, the boys and their rocket (post-party).


The boys also had their birthday celebrated at their school before we left, as well. Since they won't be in school this summer, their teachers offered to recognize their summer birthday.

The boys had their own separate celebration - above Ryan is helping to decorate his poster and Luke is below creating his poster with his teacher.

Their birthday at school is celebrated by circling the sun for each year and then blowing out a candle. Ryan's teacher gave him a plant, which he has been very proud of and he makes sure that I am taking care of it.


Sweet picture of the boys below.



One thing that I had going on the week of their party besides being the last week of school and getting ready for our vacation was to decorate cookies and a birthday cake for the auction winner from the boys' school. It turned out that the winner needed her cake the same day as the boys' party - this was for a 3 year old having a music themed party. The cake was huge - 4- 9X13 cakes were needed to construct this.



Two additional pictures from our vacation - I love the one of Luke running down Main Street USA at Disneyland. Ryan fell asleep on the plane within 2 minutes of taking off and the stayed asleep for almost the whole flight. Ryan had been a little sick while we were in CA and had been grumpy for a few days - I took him the doctor today because he told me last night (for the first time) that his ear was hurting - turns out he has a pretty nasty double ear infection - he must have gotten his cold from Greg who was sickly for most of the trip, as well.



2 videos of the boys' birthday celebration at their school.





In other news: I have a new job. I will be a full time middle school counselor next year. I am sad to leave my current school, but I am relieved to not have to teach next year.

We are having family over on Sunday to celebrate the boys' birthday and then we start our summer vacation at home on Monday. Plans for the summer: lots of time at the pool.

No comments: